| האוניברסיטה העברית בירושלים | The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Skip to Hebrew
Skip to English
Skip to Arabic
Skip to Site Map
English

Prof. Zvi Hermann Shapira (1840-1898)

Professor of mathematics and initiator of the concept of the Jewish National Fund. In the 1880s, he proposed the establishment of a Jewish cultural institution that would teach various academic disciplines in the Land of Israel. This proposal was presented at the First Zionist Congress in 1897.

 

Return to Homepage 

 

 

Prof. Zvi Hermann Shapira
English

Dr. Chaim Weizmann (1874-1952)

Scientist, statesman and outstanding figure among the Zionist leaders who strove for the establishment of the Hebrew University.  Chairman of the university’s board of governors until his election as the Israel’s first president. Viewed establishing a scientific institution in Jerusalem as a central element in realizing the intellectual Zionist dream in the spirit of Ahad Ha’am.

 

Return to Homapge

Dr. Chaim Weizmann
English

Dr. Berthold Feivel (1875-1937)

An early and prominent Zionist activist and one of the members of the Democratic Fraction party in the Zionist movement, he published together with Dr. Chaim Weizmann and Prof. Martin Buber the booklet, “Eine Judische Hochschule, one of the documents that served as the basis for the establishment of the Hebrew University. 

 

Return to Homepage

Dr. Berthold Feivel
English

Dr. Yehuda Leib Magnes (1877-1948)

A Reform rabbi and leader of American Jewry, immigrated to Jerusalem and was one of the outstanding figures involved in founding the university. Served as its first chancellor and worked towards integrating research and teaching.  In 1936, was appointed its first president and contributed greatly to its fund-raising efforts and academic and administrative development.

 

Return to Homepage

Dr. Yehuda Leib Magnes
English

Prof. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Father of the Theory of Relativity and Nobel Prize laureate, he was among the greatest physicists of all time. He contributed greatly to the founding of the university, was an early member of its board of governors and was first chairman of its academic council. He willed his intellectual property to the university. 

 

Return to Homepage

Prof. Albert Einstein
English


The concept of a Hebrew University emerged at the inception of the Zionist movement. The Zionist activist and the forefather of the Jewish National Fund, Prof. Zvi Hermann Shapira, was among those who promoted the idea. In 1902, Dr. Chaim Weizmann, the prominent scientist, later a founder of the Hebrew University, president of the World Zionist Organization and first president of the State of Israel, Prof. Martin Buber, the philosopher,  and Dr. Berthold Feivel, a Zionist activist, presented a specific proposal to establish a higher institute of Jewish learning.

 

In 1913, the 11th Zionist Congress voted to establish a university in Jerusalem, and in July 1918, the foundation stones were laid on Mount Scopus on land acquired by the Jewish National Fund through a donation by the philanthropist Y.L. Goldberg. Prof. Albert Einstein, the distinguished scientist, was among those enlisted to attract scholars and raise funds for the new university.

 

Three research institutes were established at the university prior to its formal opening under the leadership of  Dr. Judah Leib Magnes. The inauguration of the university was held on April 1, 1925, in the presence of leading figures from the land of Israel and abroad, including representatives of foreign universities and officials of the British government, among them Lord Balfour.

 

In the 1930s and 1940s, the university absorbed additional scholars and saw a growth in student enrollment. The National Library and other research institutions were established on Mount Scopus. During the Second World War the university contributed significantly of its intellectual talents and physical efforts to the struggle. During the War of Independence, the university was forced to abandon its home and to relocate to various locations in Jerusalem. In 1958 the new campus at Givat Ram was dedicated. Following the Six-Day War of 1967, the university returned to Mount Scopus, where a modern campus with a wide range of institutions and faculties were created.

This wall is a tribute to the founders of the university.

 

Concept: Billy Shapira

Curator: Michal Mor

Academic Advisor: Dr. Assaf Selzer

Designers: Ido Bruno, Sonja Olitsky

 

Dedicated in 5773/2013 – the 100th anniversary of the decision to establish the Hebrew University by the Zionist Congress

 

The Foundres:

Prof. Zvi Hermann Shapira

Prof. Martin Buber

Dr. Berthold Feivel

Dr. Chaim Weizmann

Prof. Albert Einstein

Dr. Yehuda Leib Magnes 

Founders Wall

The WOLF Prize

The Wolf Prize is an international award granted in Israel to outstanding scientists and artists, for achievements in the interest of humankind and friendly relations among peoples. The prize in each field consists of a certificate and a monetary award of $100,000. Laureates receive their awards from the President of the State of Israel at a special ceremony at the Knesset in Jerusalem. Since 1978 the Wolf Foundation has awarded five or six prizes annually in the fields of Agriculture, Chemistry, Mathematics, Medicine and Physics.
English

The EMET Prize

The EMET Prize for Art, Science and Culture

English

External Studies

English

2010-2013

Rotchiled Prize Awarded to Faculty of the Hebrew University
 
2012
Prof. Howard Cedar, Life Sciences
Prof. Moshe Idel, Jewish Studies
Prof. Gil Kalai, Mathematics/Computer Sciences & Engineering
Prof. Raphael Mechoulam, Physical Sciences & Chemical Sciences
 
2010
English

Pages

Subscribe to האוניברסיטה העברית בירושלים | The Hebrew University of Jerusalem RSS